Spaghetti and Meatball Spaces

Thursday, January 7, 2016
I'm blogging over at Teacher Deals and Dollar Steals next week and offering a special deal for only ONE DOLLAR.  But I wanted to offer it early to the followers of my blog.

Are you looking for a fun way to help your new writers use appropriate spacing when writing?  Here is what I use in my classroom- Spaghetti and Meatball Spaces.  It's a guaranteed recipe for success!

Spaghetti and Meatball spaces

Fun poster for the writing center!

I give the kids a real piece of uncooked spaghetti and we use those to leave the small spaces between the letters in a word.  Then I give them a brown fuzzy pom pom to use as the meatball space.  They love rolling the meatball to the next spot.

To demonstrate how important spaces are in a sentence.  I will write one or two sentences on the board without any spaces and we try to read it.  Not very easy to do!  Then we use the meatballs to rewrite it and voila!  

After the lesson, I glue the meatball pom poms to craft sticks and place them in the writing center.  Kids just grab them as needed to use when they write.  

I tell you- spaghetti and meatballs spaces are very easy for them to understand.
Just print the posters and hang them in the room or put them in the kid's writing folders.


Enjoy!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top